When choosing to purchase moving boxes, keep these tips in mind:
Obtain small moving boxes. Each box should not weigh more than 50 lbs. Though other boxes, such as wardrobe or electronic boxes, may naturally be heavier.
Sorts of boxes you may need and what they're used for:
1) 1.5 cubic foot moving box which is 16 x 12½ x 12½ inches. This box can be used the most and can safely carry up to 60 lbs. But anyway try to keep weight under 50 lbs. Such boxes are great for books, for packing kitchen items, dishes, fragiles and small appliances, lamps or shades.
2) 3.0 cubic foot moving box is 18 x 18 x 16. It can safely carry up to 65 lbs. It is great for clothing, pots and pans and electronics.
3) 4.5 cubic foot moving box is 18 x 18 x 24. Such box can safely carry up to 65 lbs. it is perfect for larger lamps, linens, etc.
4) 6.0 cubic foot moving box which is 22 x 22 x 21 ½, which can carry up to 70 lbs. Do not overstuff this box as it can become very heavy. It is a box for pillows, toys, large blankets and couch/chair cushions.
5) 6.1 cubic foot moving box (24 x 18 x 24) is a rectangular shape and may work better for blankets and comforters and cushions.
6) There are various sizes of hanging wardrobe boxes: small, medium and large. Each has a metal bar and shaped just like a wardrobe. Such boxes are ideal for hanging closet items that you can't pack flat.
7) Lay Down Wardrobe Box (approximately 32 x 19 7/8 x 9) resembles a dresser drawer and is great for packing clothing that you prefer to only fold once. Do not to overpack this box.
8) Picture and/or Mirror Boxes can be telescoped, meaning that two can be put together to get a longer fit. These boxes are designed to handle framed pictures, artwork and mirrors. It is recommended to bubble-wrap all framed items.
9) Dish packs are great for packing glasses, cups or liquor/wine bottles. Do not overpack them.
10) Though mattress boxes aren't necessary as most movers will wrap your mattress in plastic bags which are much cheaper to purchase, these boxes will keep your mattress from being punctured or if it's being stored for a while, it'll protect it better from outside forces. There are many sizes of mattress boxes from cribs to twin to king-size.